micca - MICrobial Community Analysis¶
micca (MICrobial Community Analysis) is a software pipeline for the processing of amplicon sequencing data, from raw sequences to OTU tables, taxonomy classification and phylogenetic tree inference. The pipeline can be applied to a range of highly conserved genes/spacers, such as 16S rRNA gene, Internal Transcribed Spacer (ITS) and 28S rRNA. micca is an open-source, GPLv3-licensed software.
- supports single-end (Roche 454, Illumina MiSeq/HiSeq ,Ion Torrent) and overlapping paired-end reads (Illumina MiSeq/HiSeq);
- multithread de novo greedy, closed-reference, open-reference and swarm OTU picking protocols;
- state-of-the-art taxonomic classification algorithms (RDP and consensus-based classifier);
- fast and and memory efficient NAST multiple sequence alignment (MSA);
- filters low quality sequences according to the maximum allowed expected error (EE) rate %;
- runs on Linux, Mac OS X and MS Windows (through Docker containers)
- simple, easy to use.
Docker images are available (compmetagen/micca) starting from version 1.2.2, see the documentation (>=1.3.0) to learn how to use them. Docker hub page.
How to cite: Davide Albanese, Paolo Fontana, Carlotta De Filippo, Duccio Cavalieri and Claudio Donati. MICCA: a complete and accurate software for taxonomic profiling of metagenomic data. Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 9743 (2015), doi:10.1038/srep09743, Link. Dataset download: ftp://ftp.fmach.it/metagenomics/micca/scirep/.
micca wraps third party software packages and these should be cited if they are used:
- VSEARCH (doi: 10.7717/peerj.2584) used in
- MUSCLE (doi: 10.1093/nar/gkh340) used in
- FastTree (doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0009490) used in the
- Cutadapt (doi: 10.14806/ej.17.1.200) used in the
- RDP classifier (doi: 10.1128/AEM.00062-07) used in the
- swarm (doi: 10.7717/peerj.1420) used in the